4. "Limbo" 8/26/1997


I have been here three weeks and, as I wrote before, have lost important documents for my teaching application.  I called and mailed in money for another letter of recommendation and my CBEST scores so that I can apply to the SF and Oakland school districts.  I live in the DLC but don’t want to teach here.  I envision driving on a ribbon of highway over the city into Oaktown to work with the kids there before sailing back in the afternoon to begin a night of serving le café in the evil establishment.   

My dole from my parents cannot last for too much longer, and now I wait for phone calls by day and read at night, as I have no money or new friends to get on with to go pay and play in the city.  What I do have is my ganja, bamboo blinds, the hush of the 280 freeway, a streetlight illuminating Woodrow Avenue outside, and if I lean out my window and look out west, I can see a crest of hills, with the Pacific Ocean past it and beyond my view.  

Ryan and Jim are at rehearsals.  They go on in three days at Burning Man.  I am stuck here, and expecting in some time to see some friends from LA over the Labor Day weekend.  I still need to buy a barbeque and check out Mission Street.    I’m reading Neal Cassidy now.  It’s sad that his stories (literally) and letters (storywise) end without a conclusion (though some do).

No comments:

Post a Comment