2. "Ocean Beach" 8/15/1997


This past evening, when I finally made it to Ocean Beach, the sun had already set over the horizon and people were already leaving in their cars.  I remained to watch the waves curl over and break in a now blue, brown, orange, and purple ocean, with northern gales blowing the ashes of old fires made near the dunes.

I hid my keys in some sand and soot and black logs and took a run.  Nothing of a boardwalk, though there once was, no ferris wheel or concessions, only one motel far down the local highway near the park.  No real wave formations either, just thick swells that rolled in like cows.  I wasn’t going in anyway, I needed a full suit anyhow, and I was enthused for some swimming sometime later.  I passed by jellyfish, couples, and a couple girls who sifted down to the water’s edge.  One tugged on a dog incredibly reluctant to approach the ocean.

I then finished my run, a run to brush off my state of unemployment, occupy the time for fitness, nostalgia, beauty, and let me recollect on the past and what could be the present.  I am single, alone, and nowhere, a great premise but a difficult road, and beaches back home were warmer and more free of fires and fish.  I missed that sunset, and the next day it rained.

No comments:

Post a Comment